How To Make A Picture Smaller
There are many reasons why you may come across the need to make a picture smaller. Sometimes, it’s a lack of available disk space or the need for photos to load quickly on a blog post you are sharing or an article you are doing.
A large image means a heavy image with high resolution and a lot of pixels. But, when you go smaller, you ideally do not want to compromise on the quality of the photo.
In this article, we’ve covered several ways to resize an image without losing its quality. To do so, you’ll need to lower its resolution and compress its size.
Let’s take a look at how to do it.
Making A Picture Smaller With MS Paint on Windows
- Open Paint. Do so by accessing it from Desktop or finding it from the Start Menu.
- Click on the “File” menu located on the upper left of the Menu Bar. Click "Open.
- A browsing window will pop up showing your computer or device’s directory. Navigate to the directory where your pictures are. Select the picture and double click on it to make it open in Paint
- Click on the "Paint" menu again and click "Save As." What this will do is let you change the file type. From the drop down menu, select JPEG format and click on “Save As”. If your only concern was the size of the image, and it has reduced already, then you’re done! Otherwise, move on to next step
- Click on the "Home" menu at the top in the Menu Bar and locate “Image” group. Hover mouse there and click ‘Resize’
- You will now see a pixels window. Type in a smaller resolution (height and width) for the photo. Keep in mind that the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box is already checked so that its original size is preserved if you want to revert it later. Click "Okay" to see results.
If everything is okay, save the image! You can save it on the new .JPEG file or create another one by using Save As option.
Alternatively, you can crop and image to make it smaller — though keep in mind that you may lose important details if you do so.
Note: MS Paint is available on Windows only.
Using Software to Make A Picture Smaller
You can also make your photos smaller by using different software like Luminar and Photoshop.
Luminar: For Mac users, Luminar is an exclusive software designed by Macphun. You can easily make your images smaller using Luminar. Follow this complete guide on how to do it to see how to easily make your images smaller using Luminar. Available only for $69, it’s a powerful tool with a bounty of options.
Photoshop: If you have Photoshop installed, you can resize your picture by pressing the combination of Ctrl + Alt + I to activate the “Image Size” window. You can type in the new dimension in desired ”dpi” and also type in the height and width fields of the picture. To make it smaller enter a smaller number.
There’s no rocket science involved in making a picture smaller. You can do it with a bunch of softwares and it’s very easy.